Monday, March 17, 2014

Stripping Down

After a week spent fighting a cold – which arrived at the same time as our first big turn of weather – it was finally time to get out for some sunnier, lighter dressed riding.
I feel like the cold of February forced us into the confines of city MTB trails, so for a change I decided to stretch the legs on an old “classic” Saturday, and maybe what will become a new classic Sunday. It might just be me, but I feel like my tolerance for the traditional road loops is low this year, and there must be a wealth of alternative routes ready for exploration with a little courage and googlemap. With that in mind, I ventured out.

Saturday. First up the old – the Raging Rancher. This ride is now all but defunct, since we were ‘unwelcomed’ on a short strip of the route that is pretty much at the point-of-no-return and crucial for creating the loop. It’s still got a soft spot in my heart for the back hills terrain and feeling of peace achieved without straying too far from commonly travelled routes. Luckily I made it through clear, but will admit to looking over my shoulders and around the next corners for a while – anticipating what surprise could come next.

Sunday – a new classic. This time for Devin, Pat & myself set out in the early morning and light winds to try the winter connection of a route Erik & I pioneered last summer. Where the land is “private but tolerable” and again, the connection is well worth making. This one gives a connection between gravel we typically never ride, and HWY 68 – again the farther off the beaten path, the better it feels. Luckily we hit this one probably days before spring melting will render the connection unridable for weeks. So satisfying was the connection of two main routes – separated before by short physical distances, but perceived to be far beyond any practical association.

So nice to ride in leg warmers and light jacket for the first time this year. I can tell that evening rides and nothing/nothing is not far away now.

No comments:

Post a Comment