It’s over. Right? For so many reasons it’s over and I know I’ve been wrong before. But –summer has to arrive, which means there is limited space for spring to eventually get underway. All it takes is any glimpse of a forecast warmer than 10 degrees seems like a tropical ray of sunshine at the end of a dark, winter tunnel.
It’s incredible what a little relative perspective can do to you. In this case, it’s better to lie yourself into positive outlook than let the snow demons consume you. That’s been my strategy at least. So this weekend when it was only -7 high Saturday, we saddled up for ~5h. And Sunday when it flaked and froze further, pathways for more. Weird to be riding goggles and Ski-helmet on March 30th, but the mental warmth came from knowing it HAD to be close, and dammed if I won’t be ready for it when it comes.
So I’ve also loved the computrainer lately. That’s another weird feeling, to actually find post-work excitement for something so abstract and unrewarding. I find the secret is not to think about it – just treat it as the acceptance of inevitable. I’ve even started to like going through the motions, lying to myself that the environment of control and structured intensity will somehow replace hours of traditional training made unavailable.
I’m really looking forward to riding in lighter layers this weekend. And windtrainer, you may not be put away just yet – but your days are numbered…

No comments:
Post a Comment