Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Summer Solstice - the seasons are a-changin

First day of summer, first weekend of real racing, First time feeling like a bike racer in a long time

It has been 6 long months since I took up a new challenge: to see how far I could push my (road) cycling performance and still maintain gainful employment. Some of those I know simply refer to this as maximizing the performance/full time job ratio.

There were a couple catalysts for this, 1) Im not getting any younger 2) I was never happy with my past performance on the road, and 3) Total Restoration.

Total Restoration (TR) is now out of the bag it wasn’t really a secret, but the change has definitely been noticed around the last few races. Riding with the team this year is an awesome opportunity to get in some high-quality races out of province and be a contributor to something way more productive then I could ever be on my own. Sign me up!

This weekend Banff Stage Race set the backdrop for some good racing and good times. Its Mid June and only my 4th race of the year, but I was feeling great in the mix and actually like I was a part of the race not just a survivor. The team raced really well, Cyrus took 3rd on GC, and everyone had what I thought was at least one standout performance.

So now the race season is here its not getting easier: next up nationals, then BC super week. Im pumped for it, especially as the weather turns nice around Calgary and I feel fitness starting to come on...

Even when you love your day job, its never this much fun:

1 comment:

  1. maximizing that ratio is the best thing you could be doing these days, I'm happy to see you nurturing it along.

    ReplyDelete