I haven’t ridden a road national champs since 2004 in Kamloops. This year the race in Edmonton was a big motivator for me, to see 1) how things have changed and 2) to see how I have changed (could I be competitive or even finish?)
Factual race report:
127 racers lined up to start, and 87 finished. The race started like a Crit, completely savage – I think we averaged 45Km/h for the first lap. Once it all got settled down my race strategy consisted of getting near the front on each climb rather than risk being caught behind a split. I also got a good view of the race up there, which was nice. There was no decisive break, groups of 6 or 7 guys would roll off the front, most came back, but a couple stayed up. In hindsight that is where I should have raced sharper, but there was some good horsepower in the crowd and I was a little weary of 180km and 14 reps of 3 climbs per lap. As it turns out, I ate and drank tons and actually felt better as the race progressed.
Team mates Marcel and Cyrus both got up the road, I was happy that I could stay with every acceleration/attack on the climbs. This is the first year I have ever felt that on the climbs.
On the 13th lap, we were slowing. I looked around and realized there I was not happy finishing with some of the riders left in our group, so I went to the front and turned up the pace, but no one responded. I rode off solo for the last lap and a half – very unusual for me, but I did manage to bridge to Cyrus’ group - only to discover he had attacked, so I rode through that group as well to finish up solo. It might have been too little too late, but I did gain quite a few spots and felt like I left it all on the course.
Clever observations from the weekend:
-Canada now has Protour riders, it was kind of weird seeing them in the race. Even though there were only three of them in the race, it speaks to how the level of racing in Canada has improved in the last 5 years.
- I’m glad Will won. It’s weird to see guys I grew up racing mountain bikes racing win the National Championships.
-A volunteer lady was giving away pizza after the race. It tasted so good. Even after I dropped mine on the asphalt.
-180km = 8 bottles, 5 gels, 3 bars, 1 electrolyte tab.
-Team TR was rocked by some case of 24 flu/food poisoning, 2 women and 1 Man didn’t start – must have been pretty devastating for them.
-Racing on fully closed roads in the Edmonton river valley was cool.
-Quebec riders are the friendliest racers ever. They always look so happy and love to joke around with you.
-One of the observations above is 100% false.
<<untitled.bmp>>

Very solid result dude, that was a tough course...
ReplyDelete