Wednesday, June 2, 2010

It's Tuesday, and I am picking sand out of my eye...

It's Tuesday, and I am picking sand out of my eye...

(From racing on Saturday)

The first (2nd) race of the season has come and gone I chose to kick off in grand style with B.C. provincials RR and Bastion Square Crit (2 races I have always wanted to race, good courses and racers). Its been a while since I have raced in a full B.C. field lots of riders have stepped it up and were not in Kansas anymore. The fitness contrast against guys with 6 weeks of racing in the legs was apparent but not insurmountable.

A couple of lessons were learned this weekend:

1.      Good friends, teammates, and billets are what set cycling apart. (thanks to teammate #1, TR, Erinne, and the Family)

2.      145km in the rain seems shorter when your glasses are too fogged to see any of the roads. I think we rode through Jordan river at some point

3.      If your teeth are chattering so much that your jaw cramps before your legs do, its going to be a long day.

4.      A 55 racer pack may navigate a narrow crit course with poise in the dry, but 60 seconds of sprinkles and it gets ugly fast. I won the keep your skin prime.

5.      If a rider gets called out for (and denies) sketchy riding before the race even starts (and still crashes in the race) 55 racers cant all be wrong.

6.      100psi tubulars are your best Crit friend. I can’t believe I have held out so long.

No comments:

Post a Comment