Sunday, March 7, 2010

San Diego day 5

Pop quiz - select the correct answer from the options below:

Which of the following things is always better than your day job?
A) Riding your bike
B) Riding your bike along the ocean in California
C) Riding your bike along the ocean in California for 4 hours in the rain
D) All of the above.

(the correct answer is D)
I have developed a saying over the past few years: "the worst day on a bike is better than the best day at work". No offense intended to my day job (which treats me very well and I am quite happy with) - but work is work for a reason, and the primary reason most of us tolerate it is for the moments when it allows us to pursue the things we are really passionate about in life. More on this thought and how it came to me today...

Today we were supposed to ride up Palomar, A legitimate HC climb that features as the crown jewel in the Tour of California. However, when we awoke this morning the forecast we were dreading had materialized - Palomar was in snow and near freezing temps, and the whole of SoCal was under a storm watch for heavy participation. This was not the sort of day you fly down here for, and I was in no mood to ride.

Not riding wasn't really an option, so I loaded on every piece of clothing I had, borrowed some more, and with a top secret hot-balm hybrid and 5 coffees, we were (reluctantly) ready for the road. I rolled 100m, got completely soaked, and remembered my mantra - this day could only get better from here...

Turns out it did get better, as we rolled along the coast, between storm systems, and stayed substantially dry for the last three an a half hours:





Maybe it was luck, maybe it was the mexican food...

No comments:

Post a Comment