Rewind to 6 days ago, checking in at the Calgary airport with one bag & one bike. I booked the flight with Westjet on purpose, paying slightly more but knowing that they are usually fair with bikes and more often than not will let you fly for free if the bike box is your second piece. They did not dissapoint, and after the duty chief spotted my clunky bike case, we chatted for a few minutes about my trip, travelling with bikes, etc. before he declared he "dosent have to charge me" and sent me on my way. The trip was off to a good start...
...Back to the present, and I am standing at the United/aircanada check in counter. Check-in lady looks like I ruined her day just by showing up (more than two hours early and no other passengers to be seen). And the first question out of her mouth: "is that a bike?" - I know all to well where this encounter is about to go. She informs me that I will have to pay $125, and it's 'lucky' for me I'm on an Air Canada operated flight because United charges $175.
Doing my very best to hide any signs of my seething anger, 20 minutes of explaining and phoning Air Canada pass before I am succesful in unearthing the "real" policy which is a $50 charge for oversize luggage. United lady tops it all of by making me sign two waivers of any liability for damages to my luggage.
Rant over. All in all, San Diego was a very successful trip - getting back to regular with six consecutive days of riding and eating burittos; how can you go wrong? Thanks to James for making it happen and providing photographic and logistical support, respect.
Monday, March 8, 2010
Night and day... The adventures of travelling with bicycles
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
also find people to buy north american upgrade passes off... they aren't that much second hand. then buy the right tango ticket, and voila, first class where they don't even ask. or buy a S&S bike (or 3!).
ReplyDelete