Today was a big, hot, hard day. It was also a day through the awesomest alpine meadows and coolest descents I have ever seen.
We started up the Lautaret, a lovely way to the base of Galibier. I say lovely, because the grade is low (4-5%). It was a cool morning, and with the 7am start we hit the Galibier right as the sun was rising on the mountain valley.
Descending the long side of Galibier at 8:30am was beautiful in the long light of the morning. Carving from bend to bend, I looked back up and noticed I was smiling.
We stopped in Valloire to bask in a sunbeam (literally - the timing was stopped and it was cold in the early morning shade of the valley). It's the second time I have been there, and every time it is stacked full of jeeps and off-roaders.
All the climbs today were "lower" grade, averaging 6% or 7%. That suits me better and makes it more enjoyable. Croix de Fer was the big one of the day: 29km and 1:41h of climbing, non-stop. Incredible views and high alpine surroundings. The climbs are sufferous, until you look back down the valley and feel rewarded by the sights. Big, massive downhill over the otherside took us past the base of Alpe d' Huez.
168km in 6:45 total time. 14500ft climbed. We are staying at our mountaintop finish village of Le Duex Alps, cool summer vibe with lots of mountainbikers and activity.



No comments:
Post a Comment