Sunday, October 26, 2014

Winnipeg - Cross super-destination?

‎2014 CX National Championships. 

You couldn't pick a more unlikely host city than Winnipeg, but when the promotional flyer thrust into my hand a year ago in Vancouver - I was instantly keen.

So much of this weekend went exactly right. Of the 12 'cross nationals I have been to this was hands-down the best:
-Venue. High pedestrian ‎traffic, multiple food and beverage amenities, and the on-river location in the heart of Winnipeg made for a venue that pulsed with energy.
- Course. Turned out to be one of the most engaging and all-around cross courses yet. There was a little something for everyone's taste and multiple technical features. 
- People. No attitude, just unfettered cycling enthusiasm. This was one of the things I was sure of‎ by cross-referencing my Saskatchewan roots, but it was apparent in all the organizers and participants.
-Weather. Say what you will about the October timing, It works. Cross is for the enthusiast set, save for about 10 full time racers in Canada. And those enthusiasts want to finish up before the snow flies and more likely to travel when it's going to be nice. 
-Everything else‎. Cheap and short flights, cheap Fairmont host hotel, good food and character of the town, good friends and a huge Alberta contingent (second biggest representation, after MB).

The weekend started for us with a thursday flight‎, to spend friday unwinding before the race. Ashley and I made a slow day out of breakfast, course riding, and dinner at a great place in the downtown.

First up Saturday was Ashley and her first National Championship‎s. She rode well and I was proud of the progress she's made this year, even without pressure to do anything other than enjoy the racing. 

Then it was Bakke's turn in the Master A race. Lots of suspense and many positional changes played out, but a well-paced race saw Erik narrowly miss podium on a bobble. It inspired me to stick with my own pacing plan as well.

Two naps, some lunch and a dominantly strong coffee later, it was game-time. The biggest challenge with these races is the absence of reference points throughout the year - 90% of the field is unknown and the tendency is to start fast. My objective was to take the first laps "normal" before accelerating mid-race.

That went so-so on a chaotic and crash filled first lap, but I emerged in sight of enough reference points to feel comfortable. I worked myself into a decent group, was really enjoying the descents, run-up, and sand‎. 

Feeling solid, a small mistake on a gravel patch sent me down, surprisingly bloody, and disconnected from ‎a group of 5. I would only catch 2 of the 4 to finish 10th.

A flurry of first aid, ER visit, and hotel-shower wound repair followed. ‎After all the waivers Fairmont requested for bike-related damage, there was a lot more blood-related cleanup than anything!

Sunday followed with more of the same racing, a sore & raw knee, and a warm-up ride over to find my childhood house when I went to Kindergarten here.

Most importantly of all... if you race cross nationals, you celebrate with a year-end Poutine. We made sure to keep tradition alive.


1 comment:

  1. You hit the nail on the head with the venue and spirit. Winnipeg did a great job.

    ReplyDelete