Thursday, December 19, 2013

Cafe-Rat Commuter-Rod

I needed a basic bike for commuting to and from work, and the occasional coffee or grocery run.

Logic would dictate that this be a simple and utilitarian machine. Unfortunately as I debated options - the pure function route didn’t appeal.

I started gravitating back towards what makes you excited. Like any bike, there needed to be enough flair to make every ride worthwhile.

 

So I convinced myself there was enough spares in the “Parts Bin” to pull off a build. …As always gap-filling would ensue, but I was determined to make the most of what I had. I began cobbling together an inventory and the Rat-Rod/Café-Racer aesthetic started to emerge: creating a go-fast machine from parts on hand, where aesthetic form is dictated by the function and budget.

 

First came an aluminum Niner frame. Flat black was a major influence here (bad-ass and discreet), but it was also the cheapest race-quality frame around. I liked that it would still be a race-inspired ride, and something I could extend onto trails for a longer commute home. Next came a handlebar. It sounds weird to do an entire build around a handlebar – but adding a flat-bar would have made it just another mountain bike, so I headed down to Bow and found a cheap OEM cruiser bar in their bin. Mounting it upside down defies the “cruiser” look, and definitely evokes the dropped café-racer aesthetic.

 

The parts bin produced some single-ring cranks and a rigid fork – perfect for keeping it racy and strictly business. An old pair of Hayes Hydraulic brakes were next. They have been with me for over 10 years now – good and cheap, and the bright orange calipers add some punch. I even managed to down-size the rear caliper to 140mm from adapters laying around, which keeps me compatible with every disc bike/wheelset I own. Skinwall cross tires seemed like a fit too, for the looks and practicality – and fast.

 

Probably have to mount some fenders to make it a true commuting option, but so far the end result is definitely different enough to keep me excited!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment