Monday, November 11, 2013

Cross Season Continues...

This weekend I learned that you never forget how to ride a bike, it can just take 9 hours to remember sometimes.

It's been two weeks since I last rode with any purpose - moving seemed to take a week, then New York was fun but full of travel, walking, and more non-riding. Time change and the recent arrival of snow didn't help the few weeknight I had either, so I rolled into this long weekend feeling very much a fish out of water.

This could be seasonally acceptable, but for the countdown to Cyclocross nationals on November 30th. I am really motivated this year after missing 2012, but that still presents the challenge of maintaining race fitness for 30 days while the weather turns and local racing has ceased.

Today I headed out for day 3 in a row of ~3 hour days in the snow. Fortunately the winter riding is new and novel enough to inspire. Its definitely been a while since I rode "long" days though, from the hurt felt in the legs each night from the volume and effort of pushing down snow-covered trails.

In a way this can turn out good - after all, snow is just a phase-change and mixture removed from mud. And I have feeling that will be unavoidable 3 weeks from now in Vancouver. Until then, I will keep making the most of what we have.

1 comment:

  1. Hey Shawn,
    In Vancouver at Nationals you were asking how Winnipeg gets 4,000 spectators out to a cross race ... it might have something to do with hosting the race at a venue like this ...

    http://vimeo.com/81635030

    Help us spread the word!

    https://twitter.com/WpgCX2014

    ReplyDelete