Iron Maiden & Organ Grinder weekend.
Ahhh, real mountains at last. After a spring in the valleys and on the prairies, it was time for a little mountain bike racing this weekend. Literally. And in a style that can be served up no better than Canmore.
Saturday went well. Andrea has finally arrived in Alberta, judging from the ability to command an entire start grid to sing her happy-birthday. Her present was perfect, dry conditions. I like the new XC course that has evolved at The Nordic Centre: perfect combination of climb, descent, and full-gas technical sections - where you have to choose between all-out climb or all-out singletrack, because the rest opportunities are few. It's a fine example of how to do the new XC standard. I was happy with my ride for 2nd.
Saturday night was a very enjoyable dinner to celebrate birthday, and friends. Erik and Cindy made it fun and relaxing.
Sunday morning confirmed what I have suspected for weeks - the brain has gas for one day. Maybe it is hypoxia or the long road of recovery, but I took two good laps and called it a day. My timing seems to be perfected, with rain beginning and continuing during Lap 2.
Devin Erfle however, had a different plan...
After Jon Firth blasted away in lap 1, Devin and I rode steadily together, but were commingling with 4th place when we parted ways. Devin continued as I watched from the sidelines and got fat on Spolumbo's sausages. Steady laps and determination saw him close a 7-minute gap on only the last two laps, and take the win by 45 seconds!
I am fully impressed, and excited for him to get the victory - hard earned and even more amazing for a guy who self-professes to "not riding". Devin, way to keep the Deadgoat name!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Devin's performance is excellent - nowhere to hide out there from calling that just primo mountain biking. Lots of climbing, lots of technical, tough weather, and a long race. He nailed it all.
ReplyDelete