I'm sitting in the back of a car crossing the high plains of Wyoming. Its an impressive landscape of non-arable land, a broad and flat expanse of sagebrush at 6500 feet.
Breckenridge and the 6-day Breck Epic is our destination - a highly anticipated cherry on top of a year dominated by mountain biking and stage racing at the limits of what opportunity and time will allow. There's been a lot of racing, and I have loved every second of it.
Different perspectives could call it the Summer of Shawn, an irresponsible waste of time and money, or seizing the day. That's based on personal perspective. I didn't see it coming, but have found myself with the time this year to make it possible. When there is little to hold you back, you tend to re-focus on drivers of personal happiness.
I can't quantify why vacation time is best spent sweating, suffering, and bike racing. It just is, and for me this is relaxation. People that don't get it can't be enlightened indirectly. It wouldn't change if bikes disappeared tomorrow, there would be a new outlet for the competitive drive, the nervous energy and the excitement . Bikes just happen to be the best option available to us.
I've been doing this for 15 years. That's more than half my life and therein might be some explanation - established lifestyles are hard to change, especially when they come with side effects of physical health, friendship, and excitement. It keeps you feeling young and is positive reinforcement to the habit.
It's not an excuse to ignore responsibilities or take yourself seriously. That happens, and comes with the balance. And that enhances the good times at both ends. For the one chance at it, I would continue to prefer as much of the full experience as possible.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment