Thursday, August 16, 2012

Breck 5 - hike-a-bike buffet of bacon and suffering

We rode flat ground today for about 100 meters before climbing 2,000ft up the ironically named Wheeler pass. Ironic because as we climbed toward the 12,500ft summit there were not any wheels actually riding.

Started out feeling decent, then got dropped. New brake pads installed last night were rubbing enough to feel like a plausible excuse, but I think that is just wishful thinking. I hike-biked like a MoFo though, turning loose steep switchbacks into Flowy hike-a-biking bliss. The rider in the background above is me, but it gives you an idea of the terrain. I paused briefly to look around, it was impressive.

I hiked up to the previous group just in time to take a Bacon feed over the Summit. It was hot and crispy. Bacon juices dripped from my mouth, as I tipped into the ensuing decent - mostly preoccupied with the origins of such a tasty treat in the most remote of places. Had they carried it pre-cooked, or used camp stoves to cook on the pass?

As I pondered and was placated, I was caught by another racer, just in time for the "Flowy" bike path section where I was glad to share the headwind. I was ready to be done when we hit the last section of trail which seemed to climb and traverse forever, even a bottle of Red Bull from the feed went down with no detectable effect. Suddenly I turned a single-track corner and a finish line was under my wheels.

2:45-ish today made for the shortest day yet, and no flats means lots of time for relaxation this afternoon. They say tomorrow is short, fast and sweet - and the last day. My emotions are mixed, but it's been a hard week!

No comments:

Post a Comment