Thursday, October 15, 2009

Trash Tents and Tire Pressure

Trash Tents and Tire Pressure

Another Cross nationals has come and gone, and "life" is starting to revert to normal after primarily being consmed by racing for the last few months. Rather than re-hash all the highlights (and photos) that you can find everywhere else online, here are my perpsectives on this years nationals and the days that have lapsed since:
-Evan and Mike's trash talk tent was definetly the spectacle of the nationals weekend. Well done. Even when I was racing, i was still snickering to myself over thier wisecracks and the level of energy coming out of that section of the course totally motivating to say the least. Apparently those boys think I a) work way more than I actually do and b) want to name thier children after me... Hope every rider didnt get those props!
- I was really happy with 5th place at nats. After 4th last year I needed to confirm that performance so this seemed to do the trick. Only thing I would change was one early crash, but thats racing - and it could have been way worse (like the start of jim horner)
-I still cant figure out everyone's giant boner for tire pressure. I ran 30 psi on both days, lower than my usual for the slippery conditions. My tires were hooking up awesome, in two days i only experienced two slips (both would have been better if they didnt happen, but lots of guys fell much more). Pressure makes a huge difference but I still cant come to terms with running a skinny cross tire lower than I would a fat tubless MTB tire - eventually it just flops over.
-the courses were great, especially in the weather conditions. In a wierd way, it was nice to have "real" cross conditions after a few years of indian summers.
- I probablly ate 4 pounds of lamb last weekend.
-My bike was definetly the coolest one there. Come on, at the end of the day, isn't that what reaslly matters? It was odd having no pro-level kona representation this year (wendy simms post preggo, not sure where the men were) just me and H&R to keep it real.
-I am trying really hard to get fat in one week. So far it has been moderately succesfull, but I am running out of junk food and beer options here. Let's call it 'intervals' for the Shawntoberfest celebrations this Saturday (check back for info asap)
-maybe one more race in the cards this year...

No comments:

Post a Comment