Sunday, June 29, 2014

Back from the brink: it's a 7-stage blog race!

‎Okay, it's been quiet for a while around here. The good news is that nothing I did in the last 3 months was at all noteworthy, and I've saved it all for now!

(okay, since you insist, there's been a few races, lots of yardwork, and employing the skills to pay the bike billz. All of that left me rather lazy for a while, so no blog.)

So... that brings us to the present - and for the best because it's summer‎, and it's race time. Stage race time.

I've tried to take in one stage race of some form per year, and it's been 2009 since I came to BC Bike Race. This year I was drawn back for a few reasons: the trails are by far among the best, the extra 7th day cannot be underestimated, but most importantly - there is something about hanging around small town BC, sleeping in tents, laying in the grass post-race, and chatting worry free that eases the mind & soul. When your biggest daily decision is what socks to wear and cell coverage is optional - it's good.

So today we kicked off on the North Shore in Vancouver. After two days of the Thompson family hospitality, I was slightly concerned of going soft from over-consumption. Since racing here in 2009, new trails and trailbuilders have improved on the experience of the 'Shore to something really well built and enjoyable for cross country.

We started ‎with the knob turned to 11, I remember the first 20 minutes feeling like a cross race, and struggled to find drafts on the gravel paths. Then it sorted itself out as the lead group formed and I rode in a follow group of ‎6 or 7. Felt a good groove mid-race and broight a few back on the downhills, which is nice. Finished 15-ish I think.

Erik, Cindy, Jon, and Chambers all had good races, a few falls from all of us but none too severe. Smiles and enjoyment are already evident. Looking forward to Cumberland and some less-traveled ‎trails tomorrow.


No comments:

Post a Comment