Sunday, October 27, 2013

Blow Street? Snow Street!

Blow Street Supercross = the Deadgoat's annual cross race. For an unassuming and slightly small venue, it always provides quality and suprising challenge... Like 10 cm's of Calgary's first snowfall!

The weather forecast was ominous back to thursday, and I knew that the day would call for mud tires. I didn't have any glued, so I reached deeeep into the tickle trunk for the original answer to slop... Green Michelin Muds, a pair of which I have hoarded in their original packaging for 7 years now.

We showed up early to set the course, and right on que, the snow flakes started to fall at 8:30am. Fortunately the temperature fell below freezing so the ground stayed hard and slick, not wet and slick.

By the time 2:30 race time came around, it was deep snow and a fine racing line worn into the whole course. Andrea had already put Green Muds #2 (I said hoardingn right?) to the test for the win, and I had a good feeling even with 35psi (to eliminate tubeless burping) that the green magic would come through again.

After two laps getting comfortable, I worked from 5th into second, and that was the day. It is funny racing in the snow; the effort levels are as high but you don't ride with the same cross-eyed fervor as in the dry. The combination of handling and the smoothest riding is needed.

It was a great day and my last Alberta race for the year. Cross is fun in the dry, but the tradition of the sport goes along with weather we just don't get much in the Alberta fall. Although the snow usually comes once, I am really glad we it today - a great way to send out the year and I am sure it will be remembered.

No comments:

Post a Comment