Monday, September 9, 2013

Super sunday

Sunday morning; I awoke to dense fog and wet ground throughout the Calgary downtown. As I went about making breakfast and coffee - the skies slowly cleared. Clouds gave way to bright sunshine, and I was very happy - because Sunday I had a surprise up my sleeve - I was going for a ride-along in the Canadian National Team support car with national coach Gord Fraser
 
Riding in the team car is a lot like going to the Calgary Flames dressing room for the pre-game talk, and then sitting on the bench beside the head coach for the game. I arrived at the host hotel in time to visit with riders and marvel at the large production teams such as Garmin-Sharp and BMC with their tour buses and multiple support vehicles. Our ride was a noticeably more humble rental, but adequate for the 6-rider National team. It was good seeing Rob Britton again, plus Kris Dahl in his first race in the big-league.

In the race caravan you get a rolling perspective you just can't get standing roadside.  It is also completely unfiltered – you see it all, hear the race radio, and pick up the real strategy unfolding around you.

The real action moments come from the unexpected: flat tires for National Team members, each time chaperoning them back through the convoy of cars until they had rejoined the race. You need to be a skilled driver when quickly navigating between cars, TV motorcycles, and riders, all while avoiding collision with them. The same up-close and personal perspective applied for riders coming back to fetch bottles from the car, and seeing other big racing stars move through the caravan. We even witnessed many riders decide to take a "nature break", not usually part of the television spectacle.
 
The biggest highlight for me was our procession through Calgary – the fans were lining the road throughout the last 10km of racing, as many as three rows deep in places. Calgary turned out in groves to see what professional bike racing was all about, and from the sounds of their cheering they were not disappointed by the speeds and spectacle on display. It made my own heart race with their excitement, and I knew this had to be a great thing for the sport and Alberta.

As the pack careened through the tight and twisting downtown circuit at 60km/h, we bested their pace with all 4 tires blazing behind - Gord was in his element. It was worth missing a Sagan win for...

The finale of the week left me excited and feeling like a true racing fan. Hopefully all those who came out to watch got the same experience, and I think it is safe to say the inaugural Tour of Alberta fas a success. Here's to next year!

No comments:

Post a Comment