Sunday, July 28, 2013

TR3 day two.

Today was pretty simple.

Gravel road climb for 18km. Lots of euro guys were loving it, and happy to admit it. I was happy too, b/c the grade started subtle and was in the shade.

Eventually ramping towards the 6000ft road summit, I found myself dropping behind riders I didn't expect to. Picked up a bit of momentum as we hit the steepest parts and could bring out the accelerations and pace changes that I prefer.

A rocky jeep trail traversed and climbed again up to 7000 ft, then hit singletrack. I came around a corner to find an 8" uphill rock exposure - I was holding a good gear and some speed, so I lunged up and over it. Immediately after doing so, it occurred to me: "hmmm, I wonder if that is the unridable scramble section they warned us to walk last night"...

The ensuing descent could best be described as a complete waste of brake pads and the last 90 minutes of climbing effort... Except it ended on the Coal Discovery Trail. It totally redeemed the day though rythym and power climbs, making up three places in the finale.

Dinner kicked it up again, with good times courtesy of BBQ fish, chicken, & beef extravaganza, mindless internet entertainment and solving the worlds problems with the guys again. Now its time for another river leg-soak.

No comments:

Post a Comment