Today was everything I hoped mountain bike racing in Spain would be.
Yesterday's rain fall continued to factor into the course today, and the stage was a "shortened" 51km with only 1300m of climbing. Also to per,it the remarking work required, the start was pushed back to 11:00 am.
We took full advantage of the late start to bag an 11-hour sleep, then wake up in time to enjoy the excellent buffet on offer in our hotel (which is actually a castle on a mountain top). The rest was much needed especially with a cold coming on for myself.
We picked up Erik, Cindy, Thomas and Dave on the way down and I also paled some calls to a consulate that is only open from 10-1pm. The had to call me back and when the call came at 10:48am, I knew it would be tight but I managed to get straight into the back of my start box b 10:58am!
We had been spotting some trail marking signs near our hotel, so I knew that some good trails were in store for the day. Riding solo, I found myself moving up among good solid groups. As the course claimed, the singletrack trails turned to the best of the week, with a rhythm and feel that I enjoyed even in the mix of several different racing speeds.
We continued to climb though the snow line again, this time to about 4 fresh inches, but I was in fazed and enjoyed the slickness and the bottle of lube I have had in my pocket all week. When's he trails here get wet they just turn sloppy, not too slick.
The decent below snow line was another flowing and enjoyable one, and I pacelined with some teams to a fast finish, and much needed bee-line to the bike wash.
A very enjoyable end to an overall enjoyable week. There are after party and more adventure to come, but I am content and at ease with our Spanish racing adventure.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
I really feel that my tires need to roll on more Spanish terrain in this lifetime after this week. 'cross bikes here would open up so much turf.
ReplyDelete