There is a trail in Calgary that I ride every fall when the 'cross bikes come out. There are many trails that can be ridden, but this one is special. It could be that we are unwanted on it, or it could be that it represents the ultimate compliment to the abilities and personality of a cyclocross bike. If you've been with me when we ride it, you know where it is.
Not more than 2km or so, it's the perfect combination of undulating terrain, sweeping corners and just barely enough traction when you're on the absolute limit through one bend after another. You're riding fast, in total control, and you're scared for your life, all in one breath! Add in the colors of fall to enhance the sensory experience. I took the "non-winter" photo back in September with intent of writing this homage earlier.
Today we did the winter version - still fast and thrilling, with a different view. Trail runners didn't seem to mind - my guess is they empathize with the use of such a great recreation asset. Fish Creek singletrack followed before we headed up Elbow drive in search of coffee & lunch.
We stumbled onto the Kingsland Farmers Market, and an endless variety of food, coffee, and pastries. All of which I devoured with no guilt whatsoever...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


I can proudly say I've done that trail in many different conditions. To me that trail will always carry your voice yelling "don't touch your brakes, don't touch your brakes!"
ReplyDelete