This past weekend was a great time for many things. Among them: seeing cycling friends, hitting some pristine winter trails, and feeling like I am in normal mode for the first time in months.
Saturday was a figurative debut for my winter riding season, and also the debut of a little project I've been scheming since thanksgiving: Monstercross.
I've been fascinated by Monstercross for two years now. The combination of cyclocross form and fit, empowered by disc brakes and MTB width tires to provide a special offroad adventure capability. They seem like a bit of a freak-show relative to the cycling standards, but I knew the laws of N+1 meant I would inevitably have one.
So on Saturday morning it was fitting that the Hoar Frost was out for the occasion. Fit and geometry feel right at home for cyclocross, but it was quickly obvious that brakes and tires made for an unfair advantage on snowy trails. A little like bringing an AK-47 to the Knife Fight, technique and skill are mostly unessecary relative to cross tires. It does give you a feeling of invincibility. Following Craig down the Tuscany 12-mile coulee trail, I couldn't help but think "he's going really fast" and "I should really feel more scared than this right now".
Based on a 29er MTB racing frame and an assortment from my random parts bin, this is a testament to the convergence of technology between the 3 main genres of cycling technology. Weight, component function and compatibility are all getting close to each other. 19 pounds with heavy cassette and wheels, you get the impression this bike could be almost anything with a few small modifications.
Good enough for now, and lots of motivation for some winter riding adventures!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

OK, dude, that bike is awesome. I want one.
ReplyDeleteThat is a really sweet ride, I'm impressed Bunnin...
ReplyDeleteIt's beautiful!
ReplyDelete