Today was great, I just didnt see it coming. I slept poorly in what seemed like one-hour intervals, and awoke feeling weary of another hard day.
The start felt reluctant, but also different. Maybe the field was feeling the same, but I redlined imediately with less pain and suffering than before. Caught a few on the first descent, then more kept coming back. I caught a local who had been riding ahead of me all week, and he knew how to shred through the single track, which finally lived up to the oft-used "flowy" euphemism today for the first time.
The excitement of feeling competitive for the first time all week fed on itself until it became self-sustaining. Suffering still ensued, but with a little more meaning.
Perfect day came to a hissing stop about a mile from the finish with another flat. Fortunately this one sealed at about 15psi with Co2, but in the concentration of gingerly racing to the finish, I missed a small 3-minute loop of trail. In the end I took the time of the next rider back, making the difference between 9th and 10th on the day.
http://www.cyclingdirt.org/video/653201-Shawn-Bunnin-Something-finally-clicked
I am surprised this guy wanted to interview me, when I rode by him on the final climb, he cheered and said look for him at the finnish. It occured to me upon review that i didnt actually answer his questions very well, but most conversations are forced and fuzzy at best after getting beaten with the altitude stick... but I will take what I can get.
Last of the long days was today. Tomorrow is "only" 27 miles, with a "flowy" hike-a-bike section up to 12,500 ft.
Tonight is fajita night.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
My first friend to make cyclingdirt - awesome! Glad to hear it was clicking for you today, hope tomorrow is more of the same!
ReplyDelete