Monday, August 13, 2012

Breck Day 2

Disclaimer: I am feeling progressively more shattered. My humor may be diminished or completely non-existent, and therefore I take no responsibility if these posts are not whimsical or entertaining in any fashion.

Today I found the groove. Turned down the suck knob. Sharpened the gnar shredder. Actually I just didn't 'F up, the trails were exponentially more fun, and I felt total satisfaction with the day and trip as a whole.

Started the day riding within an actual group, just behind the front group. Effects of the elevation seemed less today, maybe the legs are coming around or the body is adapting. Climbed up the aptly named "Heinous Hill", then raced with Ross Schell aka 'Rad Ross' for awhile. He was shredding the downhill, which pushed me far beyond fear tolerance to try holding his wheel. When he started double-jumping big fire road water-bars I decided to back off and play it safe.

A few of us regrouped and raced back and forth all the way to the finish. At one point on the big Colorado Trail climb I was passed by the top-3 singlespeeders at once. Impessive how those guys can move when the only speed is "Stomp It"... Every trail today was better than yesterday, and I found some even elicited single-track euphoria. Finished somewhere more competitive than yesterday.

Side note: it rained all day today. Mike (organizer) was concerned about high-elevation lightening, and stood at the first single track enterance to yell: "this is going to blow through guys". At the moment his confidence reassured me, but it was wet and cold. Fortunately course was enertaining enough and many riders had packed jackets.

3 comments:

  1. Smart move slowing down for the water bars.
    I wished I had done the same at TR...

    P.S. you need to get some Snake Skin tires

    Devin

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice! Sounds like a good day (and much better than Bakke's).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Shawn is becoming impervious to weather... and we're all snakeskin'd up:

    ReplyDelete