Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Five Fun Facts From Fernie Furious 3

This race was two weeks ago, But I haven’t done anything since.

 

Actually, that is a lie – I have eaten chips, drank Hopped & Yeasted beverages found in ice tubs, and worn cowboy boots for 7 straight days. I have witnessed the Endurance-Stage-Race-for-regular-dudes called Stampede, and it reminded me that there are some serious ‘athletes’ out there. I am just a sport class racer among some of these Pros. Stampede is universally understood, but not too dissimilar from bike racing:

-Your body hurts the next morning

-Most of the time you are sweaty and smell disgusting.

-Specialized equipment is a must-have.

-It’s probably going to take until Wednesday until you feel normal again.

 

Fortunately I DNF’ed Stampede and stuck to what I know best. Here are the highlights from Fernie:

-F3 pulled some US riders up to our neck of the woods. And freeride founding member Brett Tippie announcing. This guy is seriously high on life, I love it.

-29’er Mania continues. Especially from south of the border, lots of comments that the terrain was “unrelenting” I found this impressive and the bike felt right at home, even on the steep and slimy second day.

-I haven’t thrown up many W’s in the last five years. This year there seems to be a lot more and it feels good.

-Geoff’s wife indirectly referred to me as a 14-year old boy. I think this is a compliment.

-Great weekends and good racing results in getting DQ’ed. Pictured above is my actual recovery meal.

 

Less than two weeks until Fernie strikes back with TR3.

No comments:

Post a Comment