“You should get a TT Bike”
I heard this at least 10 times on Saturday, and maybe 5 more on Sunday.
I’ve never been strong at Time Trialing, in 12 years of racing on the road nothing has changed and can’t be changed through equipment. I don’t find them exciting, can’t bother to train for them when more interesting riding abounds, and these days I race about one TT per year.
So why waste time and energy stressing over a race that is out of my control? This year I did not want that stress. I promised myself beforehand that I would focus on individual stages I was good at and not stress out over a stage that played to my Achilles Heel. No worrying about position, converting bikes back and forth between stages and hauling special wheels and helmets around all weekend – just show up and ride. The time wasn’t pretty, but it felt so liberating!
Had there been a pro contract on the line, it may have been different. But I do feel this maximized my enjoyment of the weekend.
After a top 3 finish in the first two stages, then 5’30” down in the TT (48th) – there was only one way to save face for the weekend – show up to the road race ready to rumble. I see the Tunnel Mountain Road Race as basically a MTB race: 11 laps with a few short punchy climbs per lap, a screaming downhill and some flats to link it all up. So when my legs felt uncommonly good I followed my plan to shake it up. 6 of us got away, with ~4.5 of us working over 70km until the gap had blown open to 6 minutes. It was a re-writing of the GC on the road and a great result for me (2nd), but the sweet vindication of the TT made it feel greater. Now if we can only convince the ABA to go back to the “Mercx” standard…
for accessibility and cost of equipment, i support the Merckx standard. Good riding this weekend Shawn!
ReplyDelete