Tuesday, September 29, 2009

HardCore Hop N Hurl

(Monster-Truck announcer voice)

Sunday, Sunday, SUNDAY!

Come witness amazing HardCore Hopping , Hurling Cyclocross Action!

Amazing pack racing-Sprint finish extravaganza for One Day only! One Day only!

Special feature appearance by David the fresh legs kid Larson

Free cowbell to the first 50 kids through the door!

Sunday! Sunday! SUNDAY!

Sunday morning I woke up stiff, sore, and with less skin than the previous morning.

And that was just me I still had a toasted bike to deal with.

Craigs shifter went on fairly efficiently and we were off to the races

The usual find food/find coffee/ find a bike wash/ get to race in time routine is much more art than science. It works best when you apply a blend of OCD-attention to detail and disorganized flailing, and take what you get - because the reality is that in a city you don’t know, the chances of pulling off all three are slim. So just wing it. We lucked out pretty good this time, owing to a strategy of driving down the entire length of Whyte Ave until we reached the race.

The course was fast, windy, and with more sand (I actually like sand, but find it amusing that it will figure prominently in the first six race courses of the year). Special appearances from David No Toga Larson, Paul Olympian Tichelar, and Ryan Hopping Hopping added to the field and all three were prominent in a main pack of 7 or 8 guys for the first half. On the last lap it was just Dave, Aaron, Roddi, and myself, with the top four spots all coming down to sprint finishes.

All the winning margins this weekend were really small, something I have not seen in Alberta for a long time. I think the level here has gotten very even this year. Whether it has gotten faster, we still have to wait two weeks to find out


No comments:

Post a Comment